Pinterest is a social network that allows users to discover, save and share images and links in the form of “pins” on themed virtual boards. Unlike other social networks, focuses on the search and discovery of visual content rather than direct social interaction.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a social platform that attracts a diverse audience with varied interests, such as fashion, decoration, cooking, travel and much more. As of September 2021, this social network had approximately 444 million monthly active users, a number that has surely increased since then.
It is a unique social network that focuses on the search and discovery of visual ideas, offering brands and companies an exceptional opportunity to connect with their target audience in a creative and inspiring way.
The relevance of this social network in the digital world goes beyond being a platform for sharing images. Its focus on visual content and ease of storing and organizing ideas makes it a powerful search and discovery engine, with a major impact on its users’ purchasing decisions. In fact, 89% of Pinterest users use the platform to seek inspiration before making a purchase, representing a huge opportunity for brands and businesses looking to reach an engaged and ready-to-buy audience.
It has experienced exponential growth over the last decade, becoming a go-to website for millions of users around the world.
Who founded Pinterest?
Pinterest was founded in 2010 by three partners: Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evan Sharp. They founded it with the intention and goal that the public could share and explore visual content of any kind. Although over time the clear trend towards creative design, decoration, fashion and cooking can be seen.
How Pinterest works
Understanding how Pinterest works is critical to developing successful marketing strategies. In this section, we will explore the key aspects.
The platform: boards, pins and interests
Pinterest is an image-based social network that allows users to discover, save and share visual content in the form of “pins”. The platform is organized into themed virtual boards, where users can save and organize pins according to their interests.
- Pins: A “pin” is the basic unit of content on Pinterest. It consists of an image or video, accompanied by a title, a description and often a link to an external source, such as a website or blog. Users can create their own pins or save pins and share other users’ pins on their boards.
- Boards: “Boards” are themed collections of pins created by users. A board can have a specific theme, such as “healthy recipes” or “bedroom decor”, and can be public or private. Users can follow other users’ boards to keep up to date with new content added to those boards.
- Interests: “Interests” are categories and topics that users can follow to discover related content on Pinterest. These interests can include things like fashion, travel, cooking, photography, among others. By following interests, users can personalize their browsing experience on Pinterest and receive more relevant content recommendations.
User profile and demographics
Pinterest attracts a broad spectrum of users worldwide, although it has been observed that the platform is particularly popular among women. According to September 2021 data, 78% of Pinterest users are female and 22% are male. The platform is also popular among younger generations, with 34% of users aged 18-29, and 35% of users aged 30-49.
In terms of geography, although Pinterest has a global user base, the majority of users come from the United States. Other countries with a significant presence on the platform include the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Germany.
Pinterest’s diverse user base and varied interests make the platform an ideal place for brands and businesses to reach a wide audience and connect with specific niches based on their goals. Understanding how Pinterest works in society and who your audience is is paramount to using this social network.
Pinterest algorithm: how pins are discovered and displayed.
If you want to know how Pinterest works, you should know a little about Pinterest’s algorithm, it is essential for brands and companies to optimize their marketing strategy on Pinterest and increase the visibility of their pins. This algorithm is the system the platform uses to determine which pins to show users based on their interests, browsing behavior and other factors. Understanding how this algorithm works
Pinterest’s algorithm takes several factors into account when determining which pins to show users:
- User interests: The algorithm considers the interests and topics the user follows and displays pins related to those topics.
- User interaction: Pins that a user has interacted with in the past, such as saving, clicking or commenting, influence the algorithm’s recommendations. This includes both specific pins as well as boards and accounts that the user follows.
- Pin quality: Pin quality is evaluated based on factors such as content relevance, image quality, and information provided in the title and description. High quality pins are more likely to be shown to users.
- Board and profile quality: The organization and relevance of the boards, as well as the overall quality of the profile of the user sharing the pin, also influence pin visibility. Well-organized profiles and boards with high-quality content are more likely to be recommended by the algorithm.
- Keywords and SEO: Proper use of relevant keywords in pin titles, descriptions and hashtags is critical for the algorithm to display content to users interested in specific topics.
- Recent activity: More recent pins are more likely to appear in user recommendations, as Pinterest’s algorithm favors new and updated content.
- Popularity and engagement: Pins that have received more interaction from users, such as saving, clicking or commenting, are more likely to be shown to other users, as the algorithm interprets this interaction as a signal that the content is interesting and valuable.
For brands and businesses to take full advantage of Pinterest’s algorithm, it’s important for them to focus on creating and sharing high-quality content, optimizing their pins and boards with relevant keywords, and staying active on the platform. By doing so, they will increase the visibility of their pins and ultimately improve their marketing results on Pinterest.